Call for Papers - 14th International Roundtable (2-3 November 2023, Bangkok)
Call for Papers
14th ARC International Roundtable
2-3 November 2023 in Bangkok, Thailand.
"Religious Communication and the Technological Future: Prospects, Concerns, and Responses"
The world is expecting in the coming years numerous technological advancements that promise to revolutionize human society on multiple levels and in every area of life. Further development and propagation of technologies such as Web 3.0/5.0, Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), Mixed Reality (MR), Extended Reality (XR), Metaverse, and Artificial Intelligence are expected to fundamentally change the process of information production and dissemination and the nature of knowledge acquisition. These changes promise to also impel humanity towards decentralization of existing social, political and religious structures in unprecedented ways. There are many signs that both the nature and perception of truth – religious and otherwise – will be enormously impacted by these developments. In addition, there are many other ethical, moral, and social implications which arise in this new technological future.
In the face of these prospects, the Asian Research Center would like to call for submissions in the form of research papers and essays related to the said theme. Pertinent research matters that can be explored include but not limited to:
- impact on religion, religiosity, and religious practices;
- religiosity and spirituality in context of digitality;
- expected religious trends;
- religious ontologies and the nature of religious thought;
- ramifications for religious communication;
- the status, perception, establishment, and communication of religious truth(s);
- religious prophetic voices to effect the course of technological development;
- the role of religious leaders and communicators in anticipating these developments;
- challenges and opportunities for religion;
- religion’s preparation and religious formation in anticipation of the technological future.
Papers appropriate to this theme are expected to go beyond past and present realities by delving into future prospects by examining present trends in technological development and anticipated realities. Investigations can be carried out from a variety of approaches – philosophical, theological, anthropological, sociological, psychological, etc. We encourage submissions from multiple religious perspectives that would present a range of thought and ideas sparked by this common concern.
Proposals (250-300 word abstract) due: 1 May 2023
Full draft of proposals (2500-3000 words) due: 15 September 2023
Full papers of accepted proposals due: 15 July 2023 (if author would like to be published in ARC Journal. Please refer to ARC website for author guidelines)
Please direct all proposals and inquiries to ARC at firstname.lastname@example.org